Sunday, January 24, 2010

So this is what it feels like to over-do it

What a weekend it has been. After completely over-doing last Wed back at work, I tried to regroup at home on Th and worked Fri. Friday night we had a family movie night and watched Up. I was a little worried about feeling deprived over the pop-corn but had a protein shake before I went and took some with me. Since I was full from that, I had no trouble at all resisting the pop-corn. The cokes...well, that was a little painful. Sweet Cayce, who can drink ANYTHING if it is carbonated, is switching to diet coke for me. I don't like diet coke so I can totally resist that but diet dr. pepper is hard. Thanks hun! Sorry to digress, back to Up. I made it through about half the movie before I started hurting. Liz got me her office chair which reclines ever so slightly so I was good for the rest of the movie and left having resisted all temptations but Saturday was to be more!

Cayce let me sleep to 10:00---SWEET! I really needed a little extra rest. Cayson and I fought over my carnation instant breakfast and ultimately he won. At least that was less to be wasted cause I cannot get it all down yet. Cayce and McKenna went to Target for a bday gift and then my shift came. I took the kids to a bday party by myself. I know what you are thinking...it's too soon post-op, how did she chase them both. Well, that was not a problem. Recruited me a little help in the parking lot getting them safely inside-- can you imagine me trying to chase Cayson if he decided to bolt in the parking lot? They behaved well so I didn't have to do too much chasing but the issue was...can you guess...oh yeah, the cake. This was my first post-op exposure and I considered diluting some butter cream frosting so I could count it as a cream of soup! Somehow I managed to fix plates for both Cayson and McKenna to include cake, ice-cream, chips, and M&M's and yet never snuck even a bite. I suggested to the other moms that they skip cake too, you know to support me. I'm pretty sure they choked on their cake while laughing:) We went to WM Saturday night. I must say it was difficult making a meal-plan and grocery list for the family when my personal menu is so small. I let Cayce get the drinks and dog food (>10 lbs) and made it through pretty well except for the usual delay at the Bessemer WM check-out. Don't be mistaken that they are going to use even 1/4 of their 30 or so registers. 5 at a time will be more than enough. Needless to say I came home and collapsed.

Mom had made spaghetti for the family - mom. I had a bright idea that if she left the meat out of some and I didn't have pasta, it was kind of like soup, right? OUCH. I'm not sure if it was so good I ate too fast or just that I'm not used to anything with actual flavor but it about killed me, seriously. I had some pretty intense cramping and bloating with a hint of reflux. We'll save the spaghetti re-challenge for a time far, far away.

Today I missed Sunday school but made it to church. It prob worked out well b/c I was really hurting by the time church was over...would have never made it to sit through both without reclining. Cayce and McKenna went to the boat show but that was way too much walking for me. Cayce dropped me off at work to print some things out caust tomorrow I get yet another challenge...heading to Atlanta. I typically really enjoy this trip b/c Cayce and I found a Provinos there last July and I've eaten Provino's on every trip since...until tomorrow. Granted I did consider this trip when I scheduled the surgery. It came down to 2 things, have the surgery early enough that I would be able to eat by the time I got there OR have the surgery where I could use MLK as part of my recovery without having to take leave. Well, courtesy of my CPAP issues, the latter won. It's for the best though. Just b/c I may be freed to start soft foods next Th and "experiement" after that does not mean that I will tolerate it all. Look what Prego did to me. I will be much better off to wait until the April meeting to challenge myself with Provino's.

So, now you are all caught up on my adventerous weekend. One thing I left out was the meal-plan for next Th. That will be my first day to start soft foods. We will be dining on BREAKFAST!!! I specifically will be having some scrambled egg-whites though I'm not sure if they tell you to avoid the yolks b/c that is healthier or b/c something about them will be "distressing to my pouch". Regardless, egg beaters are calling my name. I'm going to have a side of grits too, I hope. Don't get me wrong. I am not so desperate to eat that I'm going to go berzerk when I get to eat food again but I've not even had the opportunity to eat in moderation since 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I am just ready to have some flavor back in my life, in moderation. After 6 weeks I can attempt some salads. Funny that the early foods are primarily carbs and salads and meats are the last to be added back. But that is ok...I will be tickled to advance to anything beyond broths, soups, yogurt, and protein smoothies.

No comments:

Post a Comment