Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sweet, sweet dilaudid

Well, I made it through the surgery without a hitch. We arrived Th at the crack of dawn. The surgical staff was soooo wonderful. The bariatric program coodinator, Veronica, was there and spent about 20 min with us answering questions and encouraging us. That blew me away that she was there at 6:00 in the morning to encourage me. She called me on Friday too which was her day off. She offered to come in if I had any questions or problems, again I say wow.

So, E had told me I would not be able to have my toe-nails painted or wear make-up so I was rather plain jane looking when I got there. Seeing as she is certainly the surgery queen I figured she knew what she was talking about but didn't in this case. I debated sending Cayce to the car for my make-up bag but in the end didn't. Kept my socks on through surgery so no worries about my toes either. A very notable detail was the size of the gown they had me change into...definately bariatric in nature. I'm here to tell you, even when I was thin, thin, the gown at my OB's office did not begin to fit me and this one would fit 3 of heavy me. Dr. Sharp should look into these and I will certainly be the one to recommend it.

On to the holding area. Reality kicked in when I had to give up my crackberry. The one and only negative of the procedure was that it took 3 CRNA's and 5 attempts to get venous access. I look like a pin cushion, no lie. But once they got access and gave me the good stuff I was out of there. When I woke up I was in some excruciating pain. All I could say was hurt and nausea. The nurse was all about some compassion telling me that yes, it was going to hurt. I can't help but wonder did she not want to give me pain meds there b/c of some pyxis issue cause as soon as they got me to my room the nurse was waiting with a syringe of dilaudid. Sweet, sweet dilaudid.

No comments:

Post a Comment